2lbs roma tomatoes
1 1/4c granulated sugar
1 jalapeno, seeded and cut finely
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp ginger, peeled and cut finely
2 tsp garlic, minced
Pinch black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp minced thyme
1/4 cup minced bacon
- Wash tomatoes, using a sharp paring knife or tomato corer, core the tomatoes and quarter them. Remove the seeds and dice the tomatoes.
- Combine all ingredients, except the bacon and thyme in a shallow pan.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Cook until mixture reduces by half.
- Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool.
- On medium heat, add bacon to a sauté pan with a splash of canola oil. Cook until bacon is rendered and cooked halfway, about 10 minutes.
- Pour bacon and its grease into tomato mixture along with the minced thyme, mix gently and allow to cool. Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.Enjoy!